1976 Sheridan Avenue South: Preserved Exterior

An 1880’s house Healy designed and built with most exterior features intact. Original address was 1840 Sheridan Ave. So. The permit was taken out by B. R. Coppage. Healy would build another house for Coppage at 1912 Queen Ave. So. in 1891.

Permit information:

1976 Sheridan Ave. So.
32 x 48 Frame dwelling
Owner: B. R. Coppage
Architect:
Builder: T. P. Healy
B18834
5-22-89 / 9-1-89
Est. cost: $4,000.

 The north side gable end. This has undoubtedly been changed. Gable ends were typically covered with shakes. The little window is not original. This probably looked liked the gable end on 1425 Dupont Ave. No. in Old Highland:curves rather than sharp edges.
The front gable end window pattern: note that the central, larger window drops below rather than rises above, also, the decorated half round window cap that unifies the three windows into a unit. The second story porch has been added; the first floor porch has obviously been altered.
 
Northside, second story windows. This window treatment does not seem common for Minneapolis at this time. It seems archaic, like a leftover from the Italianate style. Is it something that Healy brought with him from Nova Scotia?
A The south side gable end. The top of the gable end projects out above the window, a common feature from this period. Note the window dressing, very elaborate, with the fancy corbel.


The William L. Summer House, 3145 Second Avenue South

George Orff, the architect, signed the permit. He was working as a City official at this time.



Permit information:
3145 Second Ave. So.
30 x 50 Wood dwelling
Owner: T. P. Healy
Architect:
Builder:
B17515
1-18-89 / 5-1-89
Est. cost: $6,000.



The Tudor front porch and side porch were added in 1908 according to the Preservation Alliance of Minnesota brochure on the Healy Block.


The south gable end.
One of three original barns left on the Healy Block.

Two More in the Wedge

In 1888 Healy built two Queen Annes side-by-side on the 2700 block of Aldrich Avenue South.  Although both have been covered in siding, some details remain.

2745 Aldrich Ave. S. Healy’s Queen Annes of this period are typically twice as deep as they are wide.
The south gable end.

Permit information:
2745 Aldrich Ave. So.
27 x 57 Wood dwelling
Owner: T. P. Healy
Architect:
Builder:
B16779
10-13-88 / 12-15-88
Est. cost: $4,000.

The elaborate window dressing on the front gable of 2745.

 To its south is another 1888 Queen Anne:

2747-2749 Aldrich Avenue S. We can’t see the detail on the front gable end, but Healy is not going to build identical houses next to each other.

Permit information:
2747-49 Aldrich Ave. So.
27 x 57 Wood dwelling
Owner: T. P. Healy
Architect:
Builder:
B16778
10-13-88 / 12-15-88

Detail of south gable end.

Est. cost: $4,000.



Unusual second story window detail.                    

Weapon of Mass Healy Destruction: I-35W Construction

 In 1960, miles of homes on the west side of Second Avenue South were wrecked to permit the construction of the new Interstate highway, 35W.  Among those destroyed were half of the houses on the current Healy Block.

There are only two houses on the Healy building list from 1887: 3140 Second Ave. So. and 3142 Second Ave. So. This is where they sat from 1887-1960.
The view looking north on the Healy Block from 32nd Street.  At left is the strip of grass at the I-35W off-ramp.
Permit information:
3142 Second Ave. So.
28 x 45 Wood dwelling
Owner: T. P. Healy
Architect:
Builder:
B13561
12-28-87 / 5-1-88

Est. cost: $4,000.

The site of 3106 Second Ave. S.
Permit information:
3106 Second Ave. So.
24 x 40 Wood dwelling
Owner: T. P. Healy
Architect:
Builder:
B15363
6-14-88/11-1-88
Est. cost: $3,000.
He has gone back to a much smaller and cheaper house. House was wrecked in 1959 for I-35W

The site of 3108 Second Ave. S.

Permit information:
3108 Second Ave. So.
24 x 40 Wood dwelling
Owner: T. P. Healy
Architect:
Builder:
B15364
6-14-88/11-1-88
Est. cost: $3,000.

The Third: Healy Builds in the Wedge

2654-56 Colfax Avenue South, facade
T. P. Healy’s third house is hard to decipher under the asbestos shakes and added dormers and porches. This is his first house in the Wedge, Lowry Hill East. The streetcar line ran in 27th St. from Lyndale Ave.
The house from 27th Street.
 Permit information:
3142 Second Ave. So.
28 x 45 Wood dwelling
Owner: T. P. Healy
Architect:
Builder:
B13561
12-28-87 / 5-1-88
Est. cost: $4,000.
According to the permit for 2654-56 Colfax Ave. So., Healy expected to be done 2-1-87. 3140 Second Ave. So. doesn’t start until 9-15-87. There is a building boom going on in Minneapolis. We are probably missing a minimum of two houses from this time period, maybe three or four. The older houses often are in the path of development. They are likely gone. They were likely nearby.
The barn, still two stories, but sagging a bit in the middle.  

The Second: 3139 Second Avenue South

3139 is next door to Healy’s first house, shown at left. 

3139 Second Ave. So.                                                                                                  
Wood dwelling
Owner: T. P. Healy 
Architect:
Builder:
B7791
7-16-86/9-1-86
Est. cost: $3,500. 

 3139 Second Ave. So. is a fancier, more expensive version of the first house, which is to the north at 3137.

As to the partial tower attached to the south side of the house–original or added later to make the house more in line with the sexy curves of the 1890’s. The foundation looks original. If it was changed, it would have happened early.                                                                                                 

Very unusual roofline for Minneapolis at this time. Side gables with an offset, front gable dormer. The dormer projects out over an offset bay. The rectalinear, Eastlake front porch and the silo-slice tower balance everything back to the center. The round of the tower is attached to the house, not incorporated into the design. But we can already see Healy’s interest in balancing a variety of different elements. One of the reasons I find this house so pleasing is that I can’t think of another one like it.
Detail of the front porch.  

There is a small hand drawn floor plan on the permit. The partial tower is part of the original plan for this house.

Healy’s First House: 3137 Second Avenue South

T. P. Healy’s first Minneapolis house. Several things are striking about this house: its simplicity, its fishscale shakes, and its low-pitched roof. Most vernacular houses of this period feature roofs that are high pitched with multiple and multilevel gable ends. Does this design reflect the building style that Healy brought from Nova Scotia?
3137 Second Avenue South



Permit information:
3137 Second Ave. So.
26 x 40 Frame dwelling
Owner: T. P. Healy
Architect:
 Builder:
B6643
4-19-86/8-1-86
Est. cost: $2,200.
There is a small, hand-drawn floor plan.
In summer
The facade


Anders Christensen, T.P.Healy, and the Healy Project

Healy as young man

     Anders Christensen “discovered” the houses of T.P. Healy through his 1979-81 survey of building permits of houses in the Wedge (Lowry Hill East ) neighborhood of Minneapolis.  His initial research found 30 houses, 27 of which are still standing.  He then turned to researching other neighborhoods of the city to learn more about Healy’s life and work.
     Anders’ research was written up by Trilby Busch in a Twin Cities magazine article titled “Legacy of a Master Builder” (Nov. 1981). A photo from the article shows the builder’s descendants on the steps of the porch of the Bennett-McBride House, a Healy-designed Queen Anne listed on the National Register.  Anders continues to work with one of these descendants, John Cuningham, a Minneapolis architect, in tracking down more information about Healy’s background.

3101 2nd Av. S., corner of the Healy block (1890).
Hardware, 1893 Healy Queen Anne

The article outlines the story of Healy’s life, beginning with his birth in Round Hill, Nova Scota, in 1844.  He later moved to Halifax, where he became a prosperous maritime shipper.  However, disaster struck in August of 1883, when one of  Healy’s ships was stranded in a gale off Cape Breton.  Facing financial ruin, Healy and his family moved to the Dakota Territory, thence to Minneapolis, where he switched from building wooden ships to building houses. (For details, see article at http://www.sanfordberman.org/hist/healy/healyy.pdf)
     Currently, Anders’ list of Minneapolis building permits taken out by Healy has 143 entries.  He has compiled this list by searching through old building permits, then driving and walking around neighborhoods to confirm the information on these permits and to see which buildings are still standing.  He has had the help of other architectural historians–Patty Baker, June Burd, Bob Glancy, David Erpestad, Paul Larson, and Dave Wood, and in recent years, Madeline Douglass, Brian Finstad, Sue Hunter-Weir, Ryan Knoke, Sean Ryan, Kathy Kullberg, Tammy Lindberg, Constance Vork, and Montana Scheff.  It is his hope that by posting the information he’s found so far, other researchers will continue to help him build on this work.

Fireplace in 1895 Healy Queen Anne.

The posts for this blog are derived from Anders’ building list, beginning with Healy’s first house (1886) and continuing through those designed by Healy, and later architects, ending with  his death in 1906.  Through these posts, we hope to document the progress of Healy’s career from the designs his fabulous 1880’s and ’90’s Queen Annes, through the post-1893 Colonial/Neo-Classical Revival houses, to the large architect-designed houses of his later years.
–Trilby Busch